Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Any advice for a first time mom as to when the best time of day is to start rice cereal?

My daughter will be 6 months old in two weeks and I will be starting her on rice cereal next week. My doctor told me it really didn't matter what time of day to give it to her first. She said the evenings use to be typical because people thought it would help the baby sleep through the night or because my milk supply is lowest then. Other say to give it in the morning so you can watch for any reactions... Any thoughts and your reasons for those thought would be appreciated. Thanks!Any advice for a first time mom as to when the best time of day is to start rice cereal?
Any time that's conveneient for you. I probably woudlnt' start at bedtime because if baby has a bad reaction you'd be up all night.





But once you're sure she tolerates it, you could switch to bedtime if convenient. Any advice for a first time mom as to when the best time of day is to start rice cereal?
I gave it to my son for the first time at around 5pm. My mother was over and she wanted to see him eat it for the first time. I don't think I'd have felt comfortable giving it to him right before he went to sleep, because I think checking for reactions is important. Other than that, I don't think the time of day matters. I didn't notice my son sleeping any better when having it at night. Now that he's been eating it for a while, I usually give it to him in the early afternoon.
I would start off in the morning to see how she tolerates it. Also I would do this before offering a bottle feeding so she will be more likely to eat it. But once you know that she will not have any reactions you can give her in the morning and at night (breakfast and dinner).
I was advised to start in the AM. Just because if there was a bad reaction. If after you give her the cereal and know shes fine with it,you can start giving it to her at any time of the day.I too noticed no difference in the sleep pattern once I started giving it to her at night time.





Good Luck!
I give my son in the morning and at night now he sleeps in till 10:00 :) its nice lol. During the day my son seem to be more hungry and at night so I just feed him morning and night.
before bed, then she will probably sleep longer or through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment