Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Are there any experienced cyclist that can give me advice?

I've been riding my bike 5 times a week, I am now up to 6 miles a day going an average of 20 miles per hour. Unfortunately where I ride I don't have hills, but I do keep my pace up. If I watch my diet will I eventually see a difference in my body? Is riding a good way to lose weight? Let me know your thoughts. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance and have a great day!Are there any experienced cyclist that can give me advice?
That is a good start. You want to pedal at a high cadence 70-90 rpm's with lite pressure on the pedals. That will allow your body to use fat as fuel and keep your legs from getting tired. You need to increase your distance as you get stronger. If you are exhausted after the 6 mile ride slow down so you can go longer. The more you ride the faster you will improve. Cycling is a good way to lose weight just keep it up. Are there any experienced cyclist that can give me advice?
I was hit by an auto, last year in the spring while riding my Bicycle. I spent that summer and the winter inactive and gained weight. This spring I returned to riding Bicycle every day averaging 50 miles in two and a half hours. This is on Michigan鈥檚 White Pine Trail State Park. It鈥檚 a paved long easy railroad grade over two ridges down into the river bottoms and up again. At the time of this writing I have lost 20 lbs and 1 inch at the waist. Because of the injuries I had I found some padded reinforced under shorts by FOX, in the spring they where very tight in the waist, now they fit my waist but are very tight in the thigh area. So I guess to answer your question; you need to make it a long steady activity, build up your distance and riding time, you will lose some weight. But I found it just shifted to better parts of the body.
the way cycling reduces weight best is with time. it is very possible to ride for hours on end by learning to spin and refuel your body. a century for example may take 5+hours of riding where your heart rate can climb as high as 180+, and where you can easily maintain 140+. for a guy my size i can easily burn 7000+ calories. over time that will help you lose weight. if your plan has a failing it is that you arent going far enough to do much. it would still help if your diet is spot on, but you would have better luck changing how you are riding to be longer distances where you spin light gears.
To actually get some benefit from cycling or any other sport, you need to do it for a minimum of 30 minutes and your heart rate needs to be close to your target rate. You can estimate your target rate by 220-your age. Six miles at 20 mph is only about 18 minutes so you aren't getting a very good aerobic workout. You need to ride longer and you should also work on upper body strength.
You need to increase your cardio for extended amounts of time by adding more distance to your ride. Your pace at 20mph is good just keep pushing the distance out!


Biking exercises your lower body and some upper body, try adding in some sit-ups, crunches, and squats as your pre-ride warm up, this will work otehr muscle groups and increase your overall work out.
Wow, no wonder your tired after 6 miles. 20 mph is pretty good pace. Slow down. Try to go further at a slower pace. Riding is a great way to lose weight but you need to go further distances. Duration is where the weight loss comes in. You will see great results in your quads and butt but it takes a while. When you start riding several miles (30-50 mile rides) don't ride every day. Give your legs a day to rest, give your muscles time to recover. Good luck!
figure 45 calories per mile


6*45=270 calories


you might lose weight but 270 is not really very much


it;s VERY easy to eat more than that





at 20 mph, you may be getting into your heart rate target zones





your legs should start shaping up


quads especially


calfs








if you are really averaging 20 mph, that;s pretty fast





wle.
The best way to lose weight by cycling is to ride long, easy pace rides. Riding at 20 mph burns all your blood sugar and makes you ravenously hungry, and will cause you to eat too much afterward.
i lifted weights for 3yrs and did no other exercise.and i ate alot.


so i gain alot of fat and muscle. i wanted to lose the fat so i went on a restricted diet of 1300 to 1500cals a day and still just lifted weights.


i lost 20lbs in 3 months.


then i saw Micheal Phelps in the Olympics and his daily calorie intake was 12000! cals a day.


so i got out my bike(because i wanted to eat more and still lose weight) and i ride 10 to 40 miles . but usually about 15miles.


where i live is flat and i just basically alternate riding at a moderate pace with some all out sprints whenever the road is clear and i feel like it.


so now i can eat more and still lose weight. usually about 5lbs a month.


also. i don't have a cyclometer but i know i don't even make it to 15mph unless i am in a full out sprint pedaling like crazy. my bike weights 35lbs and unless i have a big wind to my back,i don't even think it is geared to get up to 20mph.so i'm impressed by 20mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment