Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Any advice for the owner of a dog that is attached to one person?

Not literally attached - although you would almost think so - our rat terrier is crazy about my wife: greets her, follows her everywhere, obeys her commands, will do none of this for me. He's a puppy, just over 6 months old. Is there anything we can do to get him to take more of a shining to me? I've tried spending time with him, giving him treats (which he won't even take from me sometimes), etc., all of the common sense things that you would think would work. If not, is it possible he'll grow out of this when he gets older? We've had him about 2 months and he still barks when I come home from work - you'd think he'd be used to me by now.Any advice for the owner of a dog that is attached to one person?
Sounds like he ignores you and does not recognize you as the authority figure.


Walk him and when you do make him heel and you lead.


Make him follow. You start feeding him once or twicer per day.


You do any type of training with him at least one time per day.


Once you start showing him you are the leader he will learn to take direction from you as well as your wife.Any advice for the owner of a dog that is attached to one person?
I had this problem with my dag and my ex- boyfriend. When we first got the dag, all he did was follow around my ex. I would call him, and he would just look at me and turn his head. Now I am the only one he listens too. And he is VERY protective of his ';momma';!


A good way to bond with your dog is by doing everyday things with him. Feeding him, taking him out, playing with toys, treats, etc. Take your dog for a walk in the park, let him smell all the smells. When you leave, and when you come in, give him a treat. Also it is good to talk to your dog, with a friendly voice, or even a stern voice.
LOL! Do you help your wife around the house? Maybe this is her doing!





Just kidding, on a serious note, maybe take the dog for walks, spend some time with him away from your wife. Maybe take him for rides in the car if that's something your wife doesn't do. He'll begin to come around when he realizes that it's fun to be around you also. Have something new for him. A new toy that only comes out when you play with him. Dogs love new stuff and get bored quickly with the same old toys.





Good luck!
He looks to your wife as his pack leader..dogs always butter up the Boss! lol


the solution is for YOU to teach him basic obedience, and take him for walks on lead..Teaching is the very best way to bond with a dog, as soon as you begin requiring him to learn new tasks, you become the 'parent' or pack leader...or at least an equal..


If you need tips for teaching the basics, come, sit, stay, heel, then email me..
my jack russell is kind of the same I'm the mommy and my b/f is just a toy though, or a treat getter, I sometimes feel like the sleeping pad, he wants to sleep when he's with me but my boyfriend comes around and he likes to run over and give kisses and come back to me, you need to have your wife encourage him to go to you, and you only give him treats for awhile and play with him.... he'll come around too you need to be part of the PACK as people say, he just thinks your a visitor to his pack,
Some breeds specifically choose one and only one person as their leader. Some breeds do not. Researching a breed before buying is very important so that you can learn these things and choose another breed if necessary.





It could be your wife does most of what is needed for this dog, so naturally it aligns with her. Who does the feeding, grooming, cleaning up? I have generally found that the one who does the feeding, watering, etc is king/queen in the dogs eyes. Playing and spending time doesn't mean alot to a dog.





Try trading off days of feeding. Your wife one day, you the next. It's good for both of you to know this and will give the dog a second person to look up to. Additionally, I highly recommend a 6 week obedience school to learn basic leash walking and other necessary commands with both of you attending and taking turns in the learning phase. This will get the dog more accustomed to having to listen and pay attention to both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment